7.4.07

Death by Space Octopus


TBTBSG has now come far enough that I've had to implement game over. When all the player's units have been destroyed, the game now quits to the desktop. You know, instead of crashing to the desktop. When I get around to implementing it properly, the game will take you to a debriefing which will tell you how much you suck.

TBTBSG has come a long way this past week - in fact, I finally feel that it is earning the moniker TBTBSG. Not just tile-based - it is now also turn-based, and a game (which can be over!). Now all I need is some strategy.

The more I work on this project, the better I feel about it and, strangely, the more things I realise I have to do. I've been working on character sketches - some of which I'll post here at a time when there are a few less images on the main page. At the moment there's a cast of about a dozen named characters, not including generic characters and different varieties of space octopus, so I'll try to remember to pick up a pencil in idle moments.

Actually, I probably need to come up with a better name than 'space octopus'. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Er... Bloop?

Anonymous said...

You could hook up with the Church of the Flying Spagetti Monster. Yall could have a partnership.

I am really impressed that you can actually make this game. Cool. I am still hoping that I can learn to master a VCR before it is too late.

Disillusioned kid said...

How about "Attack of the Octopedes from the Big Black Beyond," or "Eight Legs Good Two Legs Better"?

Pacian said...

@D: I may consider naming an individual Space Octopus 'Bloop', if the need arises.

@M: My mum has always been better with VCRs than me. I always set the date wrong or something and end up recording the wrong thing.

@DK: I may call one of the missions "Eight Legs Good, Two Legs Better", but the plot is all up in the air at the moment.

---

I am considering calling them 'Astropods', as a kind of riff on Cephalopods.

Tinker said...

Wouldn't they be 'space octopi,' if there were multiple creatures? Great-looking game, though I think I might cringe at the debriefing session, which would probably tell me that my skill level sucks like a vacuum cleaner...

Pacian said...

'space octopi'

That's what I'm trying to avoid. We're taught in school that the plural of octopus is octopi, but etymologically, apparently 'octopuses' is correct. 'Octopuses' is also the term most frequently used by those who study them.

But if I called them space octopuses, it would look wrong.

Anonymous said...

How about Octospacies? Okay, that's too teletubby. I was thinking more on the lines of James Bond's Octopussy and that some of your octopusi could have a sexy kinda wiggle when they attacked.