17.9.09

Thursday Book


Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut

Billy Pilgrim is unstuck in time, yo-yoing up and down the length of his life from birth to death. He's a prisoner of war who sees the bombing of Dresden, an optometrist who survives a plane crash, an alien abductee. This is his story, and his unique take on time and war.

I suppose I was expecting something a bit like Catch-22 with this one, but while Catch-22 made me laugh and cry, Slaughterhouse 5 made me laugh and made me think, but I didn't really empathise with any of the characters as much as I'd have liked to - although there are quite a few poignant moments.

2 comments:

Zhoen said...

It was not a book that ever got into my heart. It will never leave my mind. There was a movie made that is nearly as strange as the book.

Michelle said...

One of my students is reading this. One of the teachers saw it and borrowed it from him. I think I started to read it when I was twenty, but I've forgotten...