28.4.11

Thursday Comic


Batgirl: Fists of Fury - Various

This is another victory for my local comic book shop. I've been interested in reading some Cassandra Cain as Batgirl stories for quite some time - she's always seemed like a character I'd appreciate - but until now I've not really had the opportunity. Fists of Fury is a collection of miscellaneous Batgirl stories: some stand-alone vignettes, others detailing Cassie's part in larger stories (apparently as opaque to her as to me).

Damion Scott takes the pencil for four of the chapters, drawing in a highly stylish, deformed style that turns Batgirl into a graffiti-esque silhouette flowing around her opponents like liquid shadow. The chapter pencilled by Phil Noto is a lot less interesting by comparison, but he does draw an extremely cute Oracle, which you should know is more than enough to curry my favour. And another chapter is pencilled by an artist who seems to be trying to emulate Scott's style, but in a way that feels like the collision of two artists' weaknesses.

As for Cassandra Cain, well, my instinct was pretty accurate if this book is any indication. It was a bold move to come up with a Batgirl who, in contrast to Barbara Gordon's lighter, fun-loving vigilante, is actually even darker and more serious than Mr No-Fun himself, Batman. The almost mute daughter of an assassin who brutally indoctrinated her into his line of work, Cassandra is frightened of her own capacity to kill and possesses a strangely innocent callousness. On reflection, it's no surprise that the strongest story in this collection is about Cassandra's interactions with the child of a bank robber. You can feel that this Batgirl is desperate to use her skills to help people, but not entirely sure just how to do that.

And then there's her costume, which is inspired in its simplicity, so inescapably bad-ass that even Ed Benes struggled to sexualise her during her brief appearances in Birds of Prey.

So, yes, I did really enjoy Fists of Fury for its star character. But even without that, this book is worth picking up for Damion Scott's art alone, and the chance to see such an atypically kick-ass superheroine rendered in such a confident, equally kick-ass style.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Sage loves graphic novels, and I'm thinking he might enjoy comics. Are there any in particular you would recommend for him? He's 12 now. There's so many to choose from, I wouldn't know where to start...

Pacian said...

By comics I guess you mean like the magazine style things? Because those are as alien to me as to you. I read some superhero comics in their collected graphic novel-ish forms, but often I still find them pretty confusing.

I am sometimes tempted to pick up a Birds of Prey comic, which I've read pretty obsessively in collected form (example), but I'm not sure that's suitable for a twelve year old (or that Sage would like it).

If you're just looking for something more lengthy for him, the manga One Piece is rated teen and has an infectious, upbeat tone.

Oooh, ooh! I don't know if webcomics count, but try Gunnerkrigg Court. I'm basically just buying the books at this point, but there's three new pages on the website every week. It's, um... about the only comic suitable for kids that I own.

:-/

Michelle said...

Webcomics will definitely work. Thanks for your feedback, as you've likely saved me a vastly inappropriate purchase. We'll check out the manga. :-)