19.9.11

Monday Movie: My Neighbour Totoro


Satsuki and Mei have just moved to the countryside and a decrepit new house beside a towering camphor tree. While their dad tries to cheer them in the absence of their hospitalised mother, they soon begin to realise that the forest is home to strange and magical creatures.

One of the most famous and beloved offerings from director Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, My Neighbour Totoro mixes imaginative creatures, beautiful landscapes and everyday childhood to sublime effect.

5 comments:

Zhoen said...

I dearly love this movie.

Geosomin said...

I keep trying to hunt this film down. Our local rental place has purged a lot of it's foreign and anime films...so I keep hoping this movie will pop up soon so I can watch it.

Zhoen said...

Disney bought it, that's the problem. I saw it with friends who got a copy in Japan before.

Pacian said...

This might be of interest, although the home video rights still reside with Disney.

Tinker said...

I love that movie. Sadly, our VHS player is bonking out (and possibly the VHS tape itself - it's been watched several times, over the years). We need to find a DVD version.